Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Woman Formerly Known as Ms. Amanda

Summer...camp...is...OVER!!!


There are no words to describe this awesomeness.


So now, in true YA style, I'll do a summer update in list form!



Five things I will miss about this summer:



1) Mom and Shirley

How many people are lucky enough to have a family that they actually LOVE hanging around? Or a mom who's willing to play DDR with you on the boardwalk? C'mon, that's straight-up AWESOME.


2) Geocaching

The permanent end to the, "What do you want to do?" debate. Treasure hunting--high-tech style.

3) Seeing Dani frequently.

More than once a year is "frequently." So I'll definitely take what we've gotten this summer, and it's been great to spend more than three "HIBYE" days with her.

4) Kicking major ass at Egyptian RatScrew.

I spent most of my freshman year getting beaten into obliteration by Seth Carson at Egyptian Ratscrew in the Vortex. Seems that I absorbed some of that greatness, though. I completely dominated everyone at work on it. (No, not just the ten year olds, thank you smartasses.)

5) Not having to practice so hard-core.

OK, I know I really shouldn't be happy about this one, but it was so nice. I could just go do my own thing after work and not have to worry about having a trumpet on my face three hours a day. It will kill me in about a week, but for now, I'm comfortable floating down Denile River.


Five things I will NOT miss about this summer:


1) Band-aids.

Band-aids are badges of honor. They are not just blood-stoppers. They are a seven year old's Purple Heart. No matter how small the injury, any child will swear on their mother's honor they need a Band-aid. And guess who has to stop what she's doing to explain WHY the bruise doesn't need a Band-aid?

2) Driving a 15-passenger van full of kids begging me to turn the radio to 102 JAMZ.

They simply don't understand why I won't let them listen to the almost unedited version of:

She getting crunk in the club I mean she working
Then I like to see the female twerking taking the clothes off BUCKEY nakedATL.
Hoe don’t disrespect it
Pa pop yo pussy like this cause yin yang twins in this bitch
Lil Jon and theEast side boys wit me and we all like to see Ass and tities
Now bring yo ass over here hoe and let me see you get low if you want this Thug
Now take it to the floor (to the floor) and if yo ass wanta act you can keep yo ass where you at


Yep. I'm unreasonable.



3) Having NO internet.

Seriously, there's a reason I haven't posted lately. I've been a terrible friend via Facebook AND Blogger AND Absolute Write. We just got wireless in my house--right in time for me to leave.

4) Writing total for this summer: 3.5k.

'Nuff said.


5) High-strung parents.

Your child flung four scooters across the gym at another kid and you want to know why the OTHER kid didn't get suspended? You want us to ignore your child's punishment because it's his birthday and you brought cupcakes? You think I told your child to pick up a stray cat? The list goes on and on and on.



Five wonderful memories from this summer:



1) IRELAND.

No post I ever make will do that trip justice. I've never been somewhere with no family ties and been positive I'd be going back.

2) Meeting Jamie.

Jamie was a friend Dani brought from working at TIP. I clicked with her almost the fastest of anyone I've met in the past few years, which was wonderful.

3) The Fourth of July in Ocean City, Maryland.

Talk about a PARTY. The fireworks were awesome, the boardwalk was always crowded, and the weather was great (except the downpour imediately after the fireworks. But you know, we'll take what we can get.) Also I had my first experience of gorging myself on crab. Blue Crab, to be exact. AMAZING. First time--but NOT the last.

4) Having Mike, John, Kathryn, and Marie over.

OK, so the bonfire ended up a bust, but it was still great to have everyone over. It was just a very chill, good time. Even though nothing really striking happened, it was just a very nice time.

5) Finding the skunk Geocaching.

That was really TOO funny. I pulled back a bush to grab the cache, and WOW! Pepe le Phew was HOME! I don't think I've ever moved that fast in my life.

Finally, the most satisfying part of Summer 2008:

Turning in my City Employee's badge and saying, "Nope. I'm not coming back next summer."

"Are you su--"

"Yes. I'm positive."

On to Band Camp.

No comments: