Monday, April 21, 2008

A decent assignment, for once

So, for a change, we are reading an excellent and relevant book in Foundations of American Education, Walking on Water by Derek Jensen. It's absolutely amazing, and I recommend it to anyone who is going to/is teaching.

Now, in addition to that (it's almost too good to be true!) we have a wonderful assignment for the class--to use any medium we wish to answer--what is the most important question we have to answer for ourselves?

Obviously, I'm writing. Here's the first few paragraphs:

Will you walk the labyrinth?

I freeze. It's a dingy billboard, posted on the wall of the subway station. I haven't walked a labyrinth in years--I've long since given up following winding paths, searching for feelings that aren't there. My mother cried, my father sighed, but in the end, it does nothing but wear down your shoes.

The tram in front of the sign pulls way, revealing the bottom. It's a movie add, some new torture-porn flick. I turn quickly, boarding the train back to my apartment.

My home--Queens Shithole. In some ways, I suppose it's fitting--my building is so similar to my cases' homes--but it's pretty bad when you consider I left behind a beautiful Georgia town and home for this. Now, the most glamorous thing I see is the subway.

1 comment:

~Dorothy said...

I am intrigued! What cases--social work? private eye? suitcases? Why are you there? What is the question???

Can't wait to read the rest!

~